Darkover: First Contact
Jerome K. Jerome
The Complete Sherlock Holmes with an introduction from Robert Ryan
Robert Ryan, Arthur Conan Doyle
Progress: 7 %
Special Forces - Mercenaries Part II (Special Forces, #2 part 2) - Aleksandr Voinov,  Marquesate,  Vashtan Now that I have finished both 'Mercenaries' books, this is what I would do if I happened to be the editor. This can comfortably be one (really, really good) book, imho. I'd keep the first 2/3 of mercs 1, up until the Thailand episode, which is moving and wonderful. I'd keep the last part of mercs 2, the Balkans part, when the story roars back to life with anger, hurt and adrenaline.

The five or six hundred pages in between I would condense to about a hundred or so, touching on some emotional highlights with Dan's Family and Hooch (and btw, I'd like to get that last bit with a bit more insight of what goes on in Hooch's head. If we get to see Dima's thoughts, I'd like Hooch's too.). The rest of the happy go f*cky bits in that middle part I can touch on in passing or lose altogether. Too much shopping, eating, dressing, grooming and too many frequent flier miles racked up. And yes, too much f*cking. Call me a woman, but so much of the we're-all-horny-let's-f*ck group sex without any emotional involvement tends to become Tab A -> Slot B for me.

Considering how well the emotions are done in this series, and they are, the parts without them drag. 'Soldiers' was one big f*cked up emotional rollercoaster, which made it great. Don't get me wrong, I am not asking Voinov and Marquesate to turn these guys into women-with-dicks. I appreciate the featured reality of these men channeling every bit of hurt and disappointment into anger. And I appreciate that shutting themselves off from everybody when they feel bad seems a logical response to them. To my eternal puzzlement, I see that happen in my house on daily basis with the 3 men I live with, and the 52 year old isn't any different than the 6 and 10 year old in those matters, just so you know.

So that is extremely well done. It's the parts where that doesn't happen that start to feel like watching a 'select' 700 slides of someone else's vacation. No, that is too harsh, those parts are still enjoyable, it's just that the better parts are so f*cking brilliant.