Darkover: First Contact
Jerome K. Jerome
The Complete Sherlock Holmes with an introduction from Robert Ryan
Robert Ryan, Arthur Conan Doyle
Progress: 7 %
Deconstruction - Kit Zheng This one had a lot of potential but left me feeling unsatisfied. The setting is great: dark, sleazy and gritty, but it just wasn't enough. Here are a few things that would have made it better for me:

a) If Jon had not been such a total asshole. Not only towards Tomas but also towards Vic and everybody else. Total dickwads who don't know when to keep their mouth shut are simply there for the reader to hate, not because they are interesting characters. He'd have been more threatening as an evil character if he hadn't been so loud about it, and he would have been way more interesting as a character if he'd have actually cared about Tomas a little bit. If he'd been in any way conflicted about what he was doing.

b) If the guy whodunnit hadn't been a total cardboard cutout. The mystery is a little thin as it is, since the book only has 10 characters or so, so his identity isn't a shock in any way. But we get no insight in what, or why, or who this guy is. Just your regular mass murderer. I realize this isn't a murder mystery per se, but an m/m, but if you introduce this kind of external drama, you gotta do something with it.

c) If the tension of Tomas's profession was explored more deeply. Where is the line between being a dancer and being a prostitute? How do you get treated by regular people, like by the nurses in the hospital? How do you feel about yourself? What do you keep separate and special for the one you love? Where do you see yourself in 10 years when your body starts to sag? These things are touched on, but not enough to my taste.