Darkover: First Contact
The Complete Sherlock Holmes with an introduction from Robert Ryan
Robert Ryan, Arthur Conan Doyle
Progress: 7 %
Fade (In the Company of Shadows, #3) - Santino Hassell,  Ais Up to Chapter 9:

Call me Agony Addict, but I loved these first chapters of Fade. Not once did I want to claw my eyeballs out, like I'd been warned, although I did come close to crying a few times. As usual, the main characters are dealt merciless blows and are pretty fucking miserable. I don't know what it is about [a:Sonny Ais], but they do agony just right. I'm sure everyone has a personal comfort level in that regard, and this, apparently, is mine. They make me feel it, really feel it, without going over the line into wallowing and whining. Of course, I don't believe for a minute Hsin is really dead, because logically, how are they going to fill two books without him? That makes the agony bearable. Of course, if it turns out he is 'really most sincerely dead', I may have to do some retroactive clawing. I can't wait for the next chapters! Bring it on!

P.S. I am wondering who is funding the Agency. It must take a small fortune to recruit and train these agents and yet they are incinerating them as if they are a dime a dozen. I mean you're tossing them into extremely volatile and unpredictable situations, but as soon as one mistake is made they get BBQed? Never mind that you're mentally fucking many of them up by terminating their loved ones, yet you expect them all to stay loyal to the Agency? I guess their Marshalls don't have MBAs or psychology degrees, but still, their level of funding must be stupendous.